Saturday, August 17, 2013

Is Your Breast Milk On E?????



With my first child, breast milk seemed to flow like a never ending river, but then it started to slow down tremendously and to be honest; I wasn’t ready for it to! Looking all over the internet and asking around, I was DESPERATE to find a product that would help stimulate my milk supply and bring my “river” back.

I found several methods that when I combined them, they helped to bring back my supply so I was happy again!

One of the first methods was drinking about 5 – 6 cups of fenugreek tea (hot) a day. Now don’t worry, this tea is completely caffeine free. You should be able to purchase fenugreek tea from your local health food store or even from Amazon.com (for a really good price J). The taste does take some getting used to, but after awhile, it’s not that bad. I must say that it does make your breast milk smell like maple syrup, but it’s completely harmless to your baby!

Here’s the brand I purchased and loved below:



The second method was to eat old fashioned oatmeal cooked with milk frequently. It’s important to remember to purchase “old fashioned” and not the “quick oats” or “instant” because the other types do not work as effectively. But I ate oatmeal every time I was hungry and this was in addition to the main meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner.



The third method was to eat lactation cookies, munching on them as snacks throughout the day!

Here’s the recipe:
Lactation Cookies
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups brown sugar
4 tbs water
2 tbs flaxseed meal
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups oats (thick cut)
1 cup chocolate chips
2 – 4 tsps of brewers yeast

Mix all ingredients until a cookie like dough forms. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dough in medium sized balls on cookie sheet. Bake 8 – 12 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies.

***Brewers yeast and flaxseed meal can be found at your local health food store***


The fourth method was to either attempt putting my baby to my breasts; if exclusively pumping or have my husband mimic the baby. Yes, I know I laughed when I was given the advice to do so too! But to be honest, it actually worked because your breasts don’t know that a grown man is “breastfeeding” and not your baby. So the same motions helped to stimulate and get my milk flowing.


Of course remember to always get plenty of rest when you can and drink lots and lots of water! And don’t stress out! Everything will be alright, trust me!

J

 



No comments:

Post a Comment