Saturday, September 14, 2013

Saturday Adventures


Oh, the joys of waking up early on Saturday mornings to enjoy the relaxing task of watching cartoons and eating a huge bowl of cereal. I remember when I first started this tradition with my daughter…we would wake up early on Saturday, about 7:00 am.
I would prepare breakfast and we would stay in our pajamas and head to the living room with our breakfast; eating, cuddling and watching television together.

I’m a kid at heart myself, so watching cartoons is just as enjoyable for me. Personally, I miss all of the good cartoons that we could watch over and over such as Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Doug, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes…man, I wish those shows would return.

But as my daughter is older now, we still have our Saturday ritual, but things are a little bit different since she’s able to talk and actually understands cartoons. We all know, as parents, how many toy commercials come on, especially when our kids are watching television. Well, recently I’ve heard ‘mommy I want, I want, I want, oh please I want’. Yes. She’s at that stage.

In my mind, I’m thinking ‘nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Not yet, I’m not ready for that stage!!!!!’ But I have to face reality, everything she sees on television; the commercials with the fancy dolls and toys, she wants. And to make it worse, there’s no way of redirecting her attention.

But what should I expect? To be honest, I was that little girl who would read the Sunday sales papers with my parents and cry saying “I want that”; pointing to whatever toy I saw. And to be honest, I feel like I still do that, only I don’t say it out loud. Ha ha. So I guess I can’t really complain yet because it’s not that bad.


This morning I thought I would try something different and watch cartoons from Verizon’s On Demand, which usually don’t have commercials or either you can fast forward through them. We sat down to watch Spongebob and in between shows, the commercials came. I tried to press the fast forward button and my daughter yells, ‘no momma no! I watch!’ I was busted, I couldn’t fast forward now. I simply placed the remote down and listened to her say ‘ mommy I want that, I want that.’ And all I could do was laugh and say ‘ask dada to buy it for you’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment